Friday, March 8, 2019

Power Series Part 97: Power of Idols

Play for the Audio Version


I know when I think of idols I think of like carved artifacts of like baby Jesus and like Mary and Joseph, the wiseman and stuff like that. Really the stars from the nativity scene. All I will say about that is by way of sharing these 2 Bible verses. Then, you guys can develop your own deep thoughts about that stuff. Here you go.

Isaiah 42:8

I am the Lord; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols. 

Deuteronomy 5:9 

You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, 

 He loves us and think about it if we choose to do something else rather than spend time with him, he's going to be jealous. If you choose to do something else rather than spend time with somebody who loves you, they probably would be jealous. Kind of like that I guess. That is exactly what I'm talking about when I say there is power in idols. Anytime we choose something or do something ahead or instead of what we feel God is putting in our hearts we need to do first, then we are choosing idolatry. GA defines idolatry as : extreme admiration, love, or reverence for something or someone. Oh yeah, when you look at it with the definition of idolatry being something like that, I totally see how God can be jealous. Totally

Second commandment

You shall have no other Gods but me. You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it. You shall notmisuse the name of the Lord your God. You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy.

TBC.......


Jimmy Needham: Clear The Stage






No comments:

Post a Comment