Thursday, February 21, 2019

Power Series Part 82: Power Of Remembering

Play for the Audio Version


Shout out to Adam this very nice guy that gave me a straw in Starbucks yesterday! Shout out to Lakeita, one of my nurses hen I was at UofC hospital Monday, for my infusion treatment for my MS. Let's get into my writing this morning. One early morning last week for breakfast, Joe had a bowl of cereal ready for me at the table. I was actually thinking it was going to be Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I didn't really look at what was in my bowl. If I actually looked I would have known it wasn't cinnamon toast crunch because of its shape. When I took the first bite, as soon as I made a crunch noise, it was so weird. It was like my mind traveled back in time. My memory went back to when I was a kid intently watching Saturday morning cartoons while eating cereal. I asked Joe what kind of cereal was I eating? He wanted me to take a guess. For some reason I couldn't figure it out. It was killing me! It tasted so familiar! He later finally said Fruit Loops :-) If I wasn't a believer then, well I'm a Believer now. I believe that food can sometimes act like a time machine and go back in time. Like time machine from the movie Back to the Future. I think it was called the DeLorean. Lol. Food can sometimes bring back good or bad memories. In this case, I guess it was a good memory. I think of the non saltine crackers and grape juice we, the members of New Hope Church, have once a month. We have those elements to commemorate or remember all that Jesus Christ did for us." He died for us. There's no mention in the Bible that we have to put a number on how many times we partake of these elements. Nor, anything mentioned in the Bible of how to consume the items. And, I definitely wouldn't be able to tell you guys what your heart is telling you as far as how many times one should partake of the elements. To reiterate, God will speak to your heart whether you have accepted him or not. He may choose to speak to your heart. To reiterate, I don't think the focus should be on the literal aspects of engaging in the Lord's Supper. First, we should examine ourselves and if we have any unconfessed sin we haven't yet brought to the Lord, I think we definitely have to bring that up before we take of the Lord's Supper. Just like the first bite of the Fruit Loops made me remember and have good thoughts of times when I was a kid, try this. When you take of the bread or the cracker and the wine or the grape juice, really kind of meditate, and ponder about what the pastor is saying when he speaks about what Jesus said on the night of his betrayal.

TBC........  

Mark 14:22-25 ESV 

And as they were eating, he took bread, and after blessing it broke it and gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, and they all drank of it. And he said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. Truly, I say to you, I will not drink again of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.

Matt Redman (Communion song) Remembrance


2 comments: